Tuesday, March 25, 2014

The world isn't big enough...


This past week in my small group, we chatted about the faithfulness of God.  Reflecting on a sermon by Geoff Bohleen, our discussion questions brought up the topic about our patience in the difficult and "waiting" periods of life.

As I hopped in my car ready to buzz over to The Gathering, I heard this song on the radio.  It struck my heart with such truth as Josh Wilson says, "I hoped to get to know you when everything was going well, but evermore do I cling to You as my world falls apart." (I paraphrased...I am clearly no lyricist)

In the sermon from the last week, Pastor Geoff spoke of a friend he had that was 80+ years of age; and, as this man reflected on his whole, but difficult life, he remarked on how much he saw the Lord's faithfulness--especially through the difficult times.  As I reflect on my short but variant life, even I have seen the Lord's hand in my life--what a treasure to look back on 80 years!!

John says in John 21:25, "Now there are also many other things that Jesus did.  Were every one of them to be written, I suppose that the world itself could not contain the books that would be written (ESV)."  In our daily life, is that our perspective?  That if we were to recount all the things the Lord has done in our lives and guided our ways, that the world could not CONTAIN all the good and faithful things He has done?  What a thought!

I so often forget of His faithfulness when I struggle with patience.  I guess that is why patience is a virtue...it's something we strive for and work on every day.  I think the perspective of hindsight is a glorious gift from God...what better way to see his good and perfect ways and/or timing than when we can look back on a situation and see how wrong we would have been to receive what we originally desired!

What is your favorite song, poem, or work of art that reminds you of His faithfulness?

Cheers,
Alissa