Sunday, April 6, 2014

Potter and Clay

"...He will rejoice over you with gladness and singing and calm your fears with His love." Zephaniah 3:17


Today I had the pleasure of seeing my cousin, twice-removed (or rather, my grandma's cousin), do a presentation on his testimony through the use of his pottery.  Having a love for the creative arts, this was my jam.  It was fascinating seeing him work with such ease as he related his art to how we are the clay and He is the master potter.

Afterward, as I went onto my small group, Renny's message stuck with me.  We just started our study of James had memorized James 1:2-4,
"Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness.  And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing."

Now for a little lesson in Latin...
The word sincere comes from the Latin word for wax, cera, and sine, meaning without.  That seems odd, eh? Well, I'll just let you know what I was taught--as there IS some controversy on the etymology.  In classical culture, as pottery was being made, there were vessels that were without flaws and those that had cracks or would not be suitable for carrying liquids or other contents that could slip through the cracks.  Therefore, if a vessel was not made that was up to standard, it was sealed with wax.  When a vessel was not sealed in wax, it was considered sincere.

As I pondered trials and pottery and being sealed without wax...I was so grateful that we are not simply made and then marked sincere or not.  We are constantly being molded and shaped by both the good and bad trials we face.  We must therefore rejoice in the opportunities of growth; knowing that each obstacle we endure, we are becoming more sincere in our faith. Not until that glorious Day will we be finally marked sincere--made perfect in Him.



We all took home a little treasure of his art...perfect for flowers or coffee, don't you say?

Have you seen any art lately that stuck with you? Inspired you? Made you think for days after?


This one was incredible...a verse from Isaiah in Norwegian!